Monday 29 September 2008

Boulder, Colorado III


My canvass round was a series of streets on the very edge of town, just where Boulder meets the Rockies. Brand new streets, opposite others still under construction (including a development of zero carbon homes). Large suburban homes with garage space for three cars each. Immaculate driveways. And crazy numbering e.g. 4th street has 4 houses, with the numbers 4854, 4860, 4866 and 4872.

You might therefore be surprised that almost everyone I spoke to was a Democrat - and not just a Democrat, these people love Obama and were keen to thank me for giving up my time to work for him (no one has ever thanked me like that in the UK).

The only slightly sad thing was: I was supposed to be registering people who, according to my list, were not yet registered to vote. But everyone I managed to speak to was pretty convinced they were registered - some had even received their postal ballots already. So I left registration forms with them - better safe than sorry - but it seemed overkill to make them fill them in there and then, just so I could go back to the office with some completed forms.

So, although registering voters seemed like a really tangible way to get involved, it has turned out rather less so. I might volunteer for data entry duty tomorrow...

No comments: