Wednesday 1 October 2008

Boulder, Colorado IV

The reason I came to Boulder is that it is possible to go "hiking" (what we would mainly call walking I think) within walking distance of the city. In the mountains. Which is quite an attraction after the miseries of American public transport and the flat expanses of the midwest.

On Monday I practically ran up into the rockies, so full was I of enthusiasm for finally getting some exercise. It was too hot but it also felt wonderful to get to the top, and I rewarded myself with my first blueberry pancakes of the trip. Someone asked me if I always hiked alone but I didn't think much of it.

So yesterday I woke up early to try to go again. But I was absolutely aching all over, and decided to postpone in favour of a guided hike to an abandoned quarry in the evening. I got to talk to a lot of nice people over the course of a couple of hours of walking, but more importantly I learned of previously unthoughtof dangers: rattlesnakes! And bears! So close to the city! Everyone else agreed they would never hike alone at this time of year, everyone knew the woods were full of bears stocking up on berries before going to hibernate, and everyone knew what happens if a person comes between a bear and her cubs (heaven forbid!).

Undaunted I set off early this morning to try and walk up a canyon. I got as far as the signs warning not to let dogs off their leashes at this time of year (dogs increase the risk of "bear encounters" apparently) and was only feeling slightly nervous when... I got a huge nosebleed (heat? altitude? over-enthusiastic yomping up a hill? or just bad genes?). Spent a while mopping up the mess with my sock until a kind woman passing gave me some tissues! Then went mournfully home.

On the plus side, it meant I didn't have to feel bad about spending the rest of the day sitting by the side of the creek on the edge of town, reading and dipping my feel in the (ice cold) water.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You didn't get your nosebleed genes from me - nor your fearless attitude towards dangerous wildlife. Sitting on the sofa watching David SAttenborough is enough for me.

The Audacity of Boats said...

no, the nosebleeds are definitely a hayman trait. think a young carolyn, shoe shop, white carpet etc. and frank on countless occasions...

Flora said...

oh my lord...nosebleeds are a HILARIOUSly dangerous thing to get in bear country. bears love blood (you're not meant to camp when you have your period in some particularly bear-y areas) and will track you down/eat you up/rip through your car to get it....

other than that, have fun hiking! if you act big it's meant to scare them off, so arms out and big noises....if you have balls of steel that is
xx