Wednesday 29 October 2008

Boston III

I don't know why, but I've not yet written about the war (probably that should be wars). But they are omnipresent here in a way they aren't at all at home.

I noticed it most listening to people's conversations on buses and trains. I have probably overheard at least four groups of people talking about friends they have who are currently overseas fighting. One girl was berating her friends for failing to stay in contact with someone they had all once been close to, but who had been in Iraq for nearly a year. An old couple were talking about how hard it was for some children they knew to be growing up without their father around. War seems to have intruded into people's everyday lives here much more than in the UK.

I stole this picture from Sarah, who is in Boston for three weeks on a visiting fellowship at Harvard; I forgot my camera when I went out walking today. She pointed these signs out to me. They are all over the city, 'though I saw a particularly high number in a poor neighbourhood called Dorchester. I can't find anything about them on the internet, but apparently they are the names of American soldiers who have died in recent conflicts. I'm not sure if they lived on, or had any connection to, the streets they are assigned, but it's startling to be reminded, on nearly every street corner, of a recent death. And many are well tended (like this one) with flowers and american flags.

3 comments:

mags said...

The war might not affect peoples' lives so much in London - however, in my town on the Isle of Wight, everyone knows somebody they went to school with who has served or is serving in Afghanistan or Iraq. The British army of course targets areas of higher economic deprivation and little opportunity. True that as yet I personally don't know of anyone who has been killed in action, and so to that extent it may well be very different from the scenes you describe in America, but the psychological scars that some of my old friends are suffering from are long-lasting. The emotional distress they undergo that is made apparent when they talk of their time away is terrifying and heartbreaking too.

The Audacity of Boats said...

Maggie also pointed me to this article which brings the stories of British soldiers who have died home to those of us who don't know people who are fighting:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/nov/02/military-afghanistan-iraq-fatalities-soldier

The Audacity of Boats said...
This comment has been removed by the author.