Tuesday 21 October 2008

Chicago IV - birthday

It started promisingly enough - I had a lot of lovely birthday messages (thank you!) and I got out on this lovely bike again. I rode the 10 miles along the lake shore from the place where I am staying to the centre of the city, where I left the bike and went for a bit of a wander.

It then deteriorated when I found that the museum I wanted to go to was closed, and the tube line I was close to didn't go to the other museum I wanted to go to... and it was pouring with rain. I decided just to try to get some lunch, but despite this city having a great reputation for food I walked for more than half an hour without finding anything except chains and dives. When I was soaked to the skin and about to give up I thankfully came across a very nice Italian restaurant and warmed up while I waited for my rigatone with wild mushrooms and tomato sauce (which was delicious).

I couldn't face the ride home so I took the bike on the tube (so civilised!).

But the evening was wonderful - one of my hosts made pumpkin miso soup, rice and black-bean-kale-and-garlic stew for dinner, which was followed by birthday brownies (complete with candles). Then we went to the "liquor store" (which prompted a discussion about why off licenses are called that) and spent the rest of the evening sitting around talking, listening to music (handsome boy modeling school, Kate Bush and something Argentinian), drinking and... taking myers briggs personality tests. Many of you will know I have an inexplicable love of these tests, so this was about the best possible way I could have spent my birthday. No, seriously!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So what are you, Fran? An ISTJ or an ENFP?

The Audacity of Boats said...

can't you guess?!

(i think i'm esfj - the worst one - the nice person people like to have around but who has no vision and never really achieves anything. apparently i'd make a good homemaker)